Friday, June 29, 2012

Some days are better than others.....

This week God spoke to me during a couple of days which have been really hard days. I'm not sure if it's the heat, the upcoming full moon or just frustration with boredom.

Often times I find I judge myself on being a good mother based on my son's behavior. From my perspective I teach him right from wrong, establish rules for behavior, and when he doesn't follow them or has a bad day, I blame myself. I reflect on what could I have done differently. How could I have helped him more in a situation? It often brings me to tears because, as a mom, my heart aches when all is not right emotionally with my son.

This week God spoke to me, "You are a good mother. You are responsible for your reaction to his choices." That has struck a nerve with me and I have discovered myself repeating mentally, "I am a good mother. I am responsible for my reaction to his choices." This led me to meditate on God's Word and take it a step further that my actions should be Christlike.

Amazingly, I ponder if God looks at us in the same way. He has provided us rules, unconditional love but yet, sometimes we choose to go a different path, make a wrong choice....well, we choose to sin. God blessed us with free similarly to the structure of a parent/child relationship. I cannot imagine God telling Himself the same that I have been repeating to myself but I am so thankful for a God who comforts me in the little things.

In this situation, I have been provided the opportunity to see things through God's eyes which opens my heart up to compassion. Simultaneously, it makes me realize although I am crying over the "bad" day had, I am in charge of my reactions to not only my son's choices but everyone I cross paths with. My prayer is that I am always Christlike in my reactions in all situations.

What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment